Sunday, July 31, 2011

London Town Resembles LA






Art by Leslie Frontz





by Gya via London Town Over the past few weeks, we have been blessed with seeing some sun in London. Anyone who knows London will know that we don't experience sun very often. And it's not just sunny- it's actually been hot. Circa 28˚C to be exact. That kind of heat puts my Mediterranean roots to shame (well, not quite, but almost...) Since the sun has been out, London has turned from this grey, dull place where everyone walks around looking miserable and in a rush, to a place where everyone looks happy, greeting passers by with a "good morning / afternoon" and just generally more upbeat. But it's not only peoples' moods and attitudes that have changed. The clothes have too. Goodbye winter coats, turtle-necks and round-toe boots. Hello maxi dresses and cute sandals. As I step out in my Michael Kors maxi with my Ray Bans on, I notice the way everyone around me is dressed. It's funny how the dress sense changes from area to area. I'm in the west-end- the heart of the city - and I see fellow fashionistas looking cute in their maxis (that have been tastefully picked according to their body shape, as not every maxi looks hot!), play-suits, 3 quarter-lengths and killer heels. But as I get back to the hood I start to notice some fashion faux-pas... First and foremost, I notice two rather large girls in short denim skirts and boobtube tops. Now I'm not one to judge anybody on their appearance, but looking at cellulite, bingo wings and back rolls is not my idea of attractive. There is a way to dress according to your shape and size and just because they make that skirt in your size, it does not mean you should be rocking it...


Fashion faux-pas No2: girls that wear beach wear. As hot as it might be, London is still a city where the nearest beach is at least an hour away. Wearing "pum-pum" shorts with a kaftan style top and flip-flops just looks ridiculous when you're walking down a busy main road. 

Fashion faux-pas No3: the ignorant people who are telling me "this is not the Caribbean, this is England" and are still insistent on wearing baggy tracksuits with hoodies up. Well more fool you brother, because you look like your about to die under all those clothes. 

Last but by no means least, fashion faux-pas No4: all the fake Louis V and Gucci I'm seeing. If designers are not in your budget, please do not wear knock offs! Anybody who knows what the real deal looks like is laughing at you right now... There is something for everyone's budget and you can still look hot in high street clothes! So ladies, fellas... Let's keep it together. This is London, one of the best fashion cities in the world. Let's represent for our city!

(REPOST: originally posted 5/11/11)

No comments:

Post a Comment