Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Let's Get a Perspective: East Coast Winters vs. Cali Winters


Even though it's only November, the weather in LA has already felt like winter.  Lots of rain and temperatures dipping into the 50's is leaving everyone in LA less than pleased.  And, I understand.  One  of my favorite parts of being here is the sun and mild temperatures.  However, I do need to put something in perspective for all of you.


I'm lived my entire life on the East Coast, until a year and a half ago when I made the move to LA for college.  The past ten years I've resided in Connecticut.  Connecticut isn't known for much, but it is known for its winters.  I can't even begin to describe to you the sheer torture of making your way out to your car at 7 a.m. before school, as the biting, icy wind whirls snow into your face, stinging your eyes and numbing your nose.  Then, you need to spend ten minutes shoveling the snow that completely encompasses your car and scraping the ice off the window so you can see clearly enough to drive.  FInally, you get in your car, shivering and teeth chattering for the first ten minutes of the ride until the heat begins to work.  Then, you finally arrive to school, clothes soaked with melted snow, and you need to get out and face the chilling wind and temperatures again.

So, being that this used to be a daily activity for me, excuse me for having no patience when people in LA complain that "OMG it's freaking freezing!!" or "It's pouring outside!! I'm soaked!"  Girl, sit down.  You're not freezing.  The temperature is no where near freezing.  And it's drizzling.  There's a difference.  Pouring is when there's so much rain that the road is literally flooded and you can't even see it anymore under the eight inches of water covering it.  Not this petty rain falling.

So, although the weather has been less than ideal as of recently, I hoped this perspective will make you appreciate that it could be so much worse.  In fact, my family back in CT got so much snow mid-way through October before the leaves had fallen off all the trees, so literally almost every tree in town fell over onto power lines, and the entire town was out of power for over a week.  No lights, no electricity, no hot water.  Nothing.  Just be happy you weren't there!

No comments:

Post a Comment