Friday, October 21, 2011

Photographer: Will Manning







WadidoLA is always a supporter of promising new artists, which is why we love Will Manning and his photography.  Check out the interview we had with him!  






Name:  Will ManningAge:  22Location:  Baltimore, MD (for the next 6 months)

WLA: How and when did you first get into photography?
WM: I have always had an interest in photography, but I didn't take it seriously until about a year and a half ago.  My only prior hands-on experience with the art form was a black and white film photography class when I was really young.  That definitely helped me to develop an interest in photography, but only recently have I started seriously pursuing it as a career.

WLA: What type of photography do you usually do?
WM: I am most interested in conceptual and editorial photography.  Most people would probably call me a fashion, portrait, or lifestyle photographer, but I'm just interested in photographs that say something and make the viewer think!

WLA: What would you describe your artistic and photographic style as?
WM: I try to make photographs that seem simple at first glance but have an underlying complexity.  I've always liked the cliche, "A photograph is worth a thousand words," to an extent.  However, a great photograph can be worth an infinite amount of words.  Those are the kinds of photographs I hope to make in my career.

WLA: Have you worked with any celebrities or for any magazines our readers may know of?
WM: I have worked with author, film maker, and professor, M.K. Asante (http://www.mkasante.com/).  He is an extremely kind, talented, and genuine person, and I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to work with him.  I have also worked with several small-scale publications, but I'm still hoping for a break to work with some kind of larger publication.

WLA: Are you currently working on any new projects?
WM: I constantly have new things in the works!  I never stop thinking, so as long as I have ideas, I'll be trying to release them through photography.  Right now, I am focusing on shooting fashion editorials in hopes of collaborating with various print and online publications.

WLA: What do you consider your favorite project so far?
WM: That's a tough question!  I'm my own worst critic, so I'm never fully satisfied with any of my work.  A series that was a lot of fun to shoot was the recent one I shot with Holly in the locker room.  I'm normally a fairly slow paced shooter and person, and that environment forced me to step out of my comfort zone a little bit.  It was refreshing.

WLA: What are some of your hobbies?  How do you like to spend your free time?
WM: I love all art, so I spend most of my free time reading things and looking at various sources of inspiration.  I guess I don't really give myself much free time...  Music is a huge inspiration for me, as well, and I enjoy playing guitar, piano, and harmonica.  I spend most of my down time with my friends and my incredible family!  Thanks to them for all the support!









Check out his Tumblr
Follow him on Twitter
Like him on Facebook
Visit his website for more of his photography 














No comments:

Post a Comment