Sunday, April 24, 2011

LA Girls: Put Your Hands Down!

"Go to Fred Segal, you'll find them there/Laughing so loud so all the little people stare/Looking for a daddy to pay for the champagne/Drop a name/What happened to the dreams of a girl president?/She's dancing in the video next to 50 Cent/They travel in packs of two or three/With their itsy bitsy doggies and their teeny-weeny tees/Where, oh where, have the smart people gone?/Oh where, oh where could they be?" sings Pink in her song titled "Stupid Girls". What the song should have been called, though, is "LA Girls". I was born in Los Angeles in a small house on a hill and from the back porch, you could see the Hollywood sign. Soon thereafter though, my family relocated to the East Coast, stopping briefly in Massachusetts, moving from town to town in Connectictut, until finally settling in Redding, CT. Redding, CT is a small enough town that my high school was combined with the town next to us, so there would be enough students. There are multiple farms and state parks in Redding, but only two restaurants and a town center consisting of the post office and church. Having grown up in a small, quiet, and slow Northeastern town, I grew up with certain values, such as the importance of family, hard work will get you wherever you need to go, and being educated and informed is of the utmost importance. Combining my love for fashion and writing, I plan to be an editor of a magazine one day, so when it came to deciding where to go to college, Los Angeles or New York were the obvious choices. Considering how much I despise cold weather, LA won. My first year in LA has been nothing short of amazing, but what has most amazed me, is the attitudes and lifestyles of the girls I've met who grew up in LA. What I've learned about girls who grew up in LA makes me so thankful my parents decided to uproot and raise my brothers and I somewhere else before it was too late.




Everyone knows what LA girls look like: over-sized sweaters in neutral colors that hang off one shoulder, skinny designer jeans, slouchy leather boots or gold sandals, Ray-bans, a golden tan, and hair that's the perfect shade of blond and tousled to make it look absolutely natural and care-free when really, she's held appointments at the salon every two weeks for the past three years. Where has the variation gone? Why are you all Malibu Barbie clones? Don't think you're hiding how much effort and time you put into your appearance either, if I could count how many times I've heard a girl behind me in class tell her friend: "Oh my god, so yesterday I went shopping, and I totally got these Vera Wang boots I'm wearing for $600 down from $900." Ummm...you still spent $600. Point proven. And isn't it a little weird that you'll proclaim that you're starving and you "could, like, eat a cow", and then you order a salad with no chicken and the dressing on the side? You already weigh 100 lbs at most, and your Blackberry looks like an iPad next to your thigh, so I think you can splurge a little and have a couple fries. What ever happened to looking like a woman, not a pre-pubescent 12 year-old? You aren't fooling anyone, honey, your appearance is the most important thing to you.

Even more laughable, though are the attitudes of LA girls. I've never met so many girls who consider themselves to be so high above everyone else for absolutely no reason. I guess having family money, driving a brand-new BMW, and belonging to a sorority make you that awesome. Moreover, the majority of LA girls have no real aspirations. They get by in college by picking an easy and vague major, like psychology or communication, and instead focus their effort on finding an athlete bound to go pro, a grad student studying international business, or a partyer whose Dad happens to own B.P. Anyone who will allow them to live the life of luxury, shopping, and elite social circles that their mother did.

LA girls, although it's hard to believe that they're even being serious half the time, really have opened my eyes to the different lifestyle they live. Although I will reside in LA for the next three years at least, I can safely say that I will always remain an "east-coaster" at heart. I do thank LA girls for one thing, though, the constant laughs and looks of disbelief you give me each and every day.



Follow me on Twitter! @RileyStauffer

1 comment:

  1. what about those LA girls that rock the sweats and wifebeaters? The ones that care enough to go to the gym, eat relatively healthy, and stay fit, but don't where makeup until 10 oclock at night? Those are my typa LA girls, they exist... theyre just few and far between

    ReplyDelete