Sunday, May 22, 2011

New Take on "THE PROM DRESS"

By K. Margarette
Being Prom Queen is every girls dream. I remember when I was a senior in high school I tried to promote myself as much as possible to get the necessary votes needed in order for me to win. Thankfully, the hard work paid off because I was the 2010 Prom Queen at Trinity Academy High School.

Prom is a special day for all seniors, especially the women. It is a day they can all dress up in beautiful gowns and feel just like a Princess waiting to get the crown in order to become a Queen. According to tradition, women are supposed to get a long gown that glides across the floor as they walk and men get a tuxedo with a shirt and tie that matches their lady’s dress.


Since high school, I have noticed that tradition is dying out each and every year. Women are no longer getting that “Princess Dress” anymore. Instead, they go shopping for a dress that shows as much skin as possible in order to seem more amenable towards the male species. Prom has gone from a formal and elegant affair to a casual and “slutty” event. Rather than the elegance and demure beauty of the past, the girls of today prefer to out rightly reveal their body and make themselves seem like a sexual object rather than an appealing young woman.

In my opinion, schools should put a “dress code” for Prom as well as other dance events. It has become ridiculous at how promiscuous these ladies have become because of the modern styles of Hollywood celebrities.

No comments:

Post a Comment