Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Hip Hop Facade


Twitter is a funny place…it really exposes how people can be huge followers. There is no doubt that hip-hop is one of the biggest current trends right now, especially on Twitter. That being the case, there are a lot of people out there pretending to be some sort of hardcore, day one, backpack hip-hop fans. I see so many young people talk about artists whom they actually know nothing about. That’s cool. But, then those very same people turn around and claim that they’re hip-hop heads, and make it seem as if they belong to an exclusive club that nobody knows anything about. These certain people make it seem like hip-hop is ONLY 90’s East Coast rap. That couldn’t be any further from the truth. These posers know that there are certain artists that they are SUPPOSED to like, so, then they act like they do. Finally, you have the artists that the ‘hip-hop heads’ feel like they’re NOT supposed to like: Nicki Minaj, Lil B, Waka Flocka etc. The other day, I tweeted a Plies lyric, and noticed that people began to un-follow me…crazy, right?


Remember some years back when Lupe [Fiasco] kind of messed up those Tribe Called Quest lyrics and EVERYBODY was mad because he said that he didn’t grow up on Tribe like that? Instead of being angry, his honesty should have been commended. That was the dumbest thing ever to me. Personally, I didn’t grow up on all the supposed hip-hop acts that everybody feels like you’re supposed to love. I didn’t hear ‘Illmatic’ until my freshmen year in high school. I CAN however, recite Juvenile’s ‘400 Degreez’ album

Zeba Sroya(@ogzeebz)

1 comment:

  1. Super-Duper site! I am Loving it!! Will come back again, Im taking your feed also, Thanks. Grizzly Beatz

    ReplyDelete